Monday, October 12, 2009

Specialty Graphic and Imaging Expo in New Orleans

This was the fifth year I've worked with SGIA ever since they came to Phoenix in 2005. It was great to be back in New Orleans and they were really excited because they were supposed to be here in '05 but it was two weeks after Katrina hit. They threw together a smaller expo in two months and came to Phoenix and that was when I first got to work with them. Their whole staff is a wonderful group of people and I love seeing what they do with my images. Since they are graphics/visual media oriented they are really picky so I feel very fortunate that they keep calling back every year to cover the expo. Next year is Las Vegas!








I really have a lot of fun with this event because there is so much to see and l always learn something new about printing technology. It is amazing what they are coming out with every year. Some of these printers are the size of an SUV and cost about $500,000. My job is simply to capture all of the demonstrations, networking and technology throughout the show.








This next shot was just for me. I was above the convention floor headed for the catwalk so I could get some overhead shots. As I walked through this dark area I could see the light coming through the translucent floor and it really caught my eye. It reminded me of a lava pit and had this really erie glow.



Here is one of the shots I went up there for.



Another cool thing is that SGIA recycles a ton of the material used at the show: paper, foamcore, signs, etc. There were 8-foot stacks of this stuff waiting to be picked up by the recycling company.

No comments: