Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas on the Gulf Coast





My first blog post, ever!! My wife Julie and I just flew back from New Orleans where we spent Christmas with my parents in Diamondhead, on the Mississippi gulf coast. The first day there we drove an hour into N.O. because I wanted to see the French Quarter again; it was my first time back since before Katrina and I was very glad to see a lot of activity. Lots of people shopping and musicians playing in the street. I had my Canon "point-and-shoot" in case I saw anything interesting; don't always feel like carrying the "real" camera and lenses. I am very impressed with the quality this little thing puts out!


These two were playing some old-school bluesy stuff on the corner of Royal Street and Toulouse. That grey thing she's wearing is a washboard; very common in Louisiana for percussion or for when your washing machine breaks.




After that we saw a smokin' zydeco band on Bourbon Street; I love that style of music. It is very upbeat and has a celebratory vibe to it! Another washboard in this band, too, plus the drummer, keyboard player and guy on accordion. No bass player; the keyboard player covered bass with his left hand. They were fantastic, all we needed were some boiled crawfish!



More fun shots of the quarter:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bro! You are making me homesick! I need boiled crawfish now!!! Guess I'll settle for a cabin in the Mt. Charleston snow. Such a winter paradise!!