Thursday, December 27, 2007

Katrina two years later

Since I hadn't been back since before the storm I wanted to see what the coast looked like and it was heartbreaking. Mom and Dad took us through Waveland and Bay St. Louis and, although they are cleaned up, many buildings and homes haven't been restored.




Fortunately Dad built their house on high ground a little farther inland and suffered minimal damage. My sister Karen and husband Jeff weren't so lucky; their apartment was about a mile from the beach. They live in Las Vegas now and at least they have a happy ending. I didn't see any people out that day but captured a few images of what I saw; it was very emotional. Everyone hears about New Orleans; Mississippi got hit pretty hard, too.





I think what hit me hardest was seeing "stairs to nowhere" and knowing that someone's home used to be there.












No comments: